Jenny (littlesunflower) wrote in boston_buddies,

  • Mood:

Yay for puppies ( very long post)

Gambit made it all day yesterday with only one accident. He took a v. long nap in the afternoon (about 3 hours). I have his x-pen in the living room so I can monitor him and I lay down on the couch to sleep with him (he got me up at 5:50 am, people!) and set my timer to go off in an hour to check on him. I kept checking and he was still sleeping so I went back to nap. When I woke later, I noticed that I had slept through the 2nd alarm and that it had been almost 3 hours. But he was still snoozing in his bed! So I coughed and he woke up and we went out and did a pee and a poop. Only when I came back did I notice a little pee puddle on the floor by his bed so I cleaned it up with a dab of vinegar and that was it!

He didn't even pee or poop during the night. I want to crate train him so he can hold it but his crate is kinda big for that. He sleeps on a big blue pillow thing, and I've discovered if I turn it vertically (long wise down the length of the crate) it takes up pretty much the whole crate, with only a tiny space in the corners. I'm hoping this will work as he doesn't want to soil on his "bed" - he is meticulous about stepping away from it to eat or drink and pee peed as far from it on the floor as he could. But during the night I put it sideways at the back of the crate with some newspapers in the front in case he can't "hold it". He went to bed around 11:30 pm and my husband (the night owl, who doesn't get up until 9 or 9:30 am) took him out for a pee when he went to bed around 2:00 am. And when I got Gambit up at 6:50 this morning, joy of joys, he was pee and poop free in there!

He's so adorable. He knows which apartment door is his and runs right to it after going outside. I'm trying to make him walk because he's getting stubborn and will lie down on his leash and tug on it if I want him to come when he doesn't feel like coming. I think he's trying to make me carry him. But I'm trying to get him to walk as much as possible. He doesn't like the walk to the elevator, but will run outside once we get to the ground floor, run around, do his thing, and run back inside. He figured out after one try that he has to stand to the left while mommy unlocks the doors, and he knows which direction the elevator is, but he always wants to go the other way. Once we get up in the elevator, he runs right to his door. Yay for puppies!

I've been testing him today to see if he can handle my work routine. I go back to teaching after labour day, I want him to get used to it. I got up at 6:45, took him out to poop, came in, gave him his breakfast. He is a fussy eater so I put him in his crate and close the door and set a timer for 15 minutes so he will eat and not get distracted. Then I brushed my teeth and washed my face and used the washroom. When I was done, I took him out of his crate, put away his food dish, and opened up his x-pen to give him room to play in the kitchen. I messed around with him for about 5 minutes so he felt loved, then let him run about in his x-pen with his blankie while I showered. I was done by about quarter to 8, so I took him back outside, he did a pee, I came back in, and held him and cuddled him until about 8:05, then I put him in his crate with his blankie. That's when I would normally leave for work. He stared at me through the bars as if to say "mommy, can I come out?" but I walked away and said "go sleeps" and he did!!

My husband goes to work at 10 ish. It's 9:30 right now and Gambit is still snoozing, so he'll probably only need one walk instead of the 9 and 10 o'clock walks I had planned. If Chris takes him out around 9:45 they can have some play time and some outside potty time before Chris can leave for work.

Ideally, I'd like Gambit to be able to go from 10:00 until 12:30 in his crate. I want to get a babysitter or Chris' gramma (she lives in our building) to take him out at 12:30 and then to feed him his lunch, and then to come back at 2:30 and give him a quick walk, or at the very least, put him out on the balcony so he can poop after eating his lunch. He piddles on the balcony late at night when Chris goes to bed (around 1 or 2 am) because it's too dark to take him down 4 floors to the front lawn, so he'd be used to going there, if he had to (though I hate it). Then another wait from 2:30 until about 4:15 - 4:30 which is when I come home from work, and I will take him out.

I think this is pretty feasible since he had 2 hour naps yesterday, but I will have to work him up to it. Of course, once I come home, it's all play time. I love his x-pen, I just put it up in the living room and he can be near me while I work at the table, and I take him out and we watch Oprah together in the afternoon, he likes being wrapped up in his blankie and just being held, though he DOES try to eat the remote control. lol. Putting the pen in the living room is great also when I have to cook in the kitchen and wash dishes.

I'm hoping against hope that a) he will be able to follow this routine. It's important to establish it now so there's no fussing when I'm actually AT work. and that b) Chris' gramma will be able to feed and walk him. He's so tiny he can't be much trouble, I can teach her to carry him if need be. It's only 45 minutes of her time, really, 12:30 until 1:00 and then again 2:30 until 2:45. A dog babysitter charges 15 dollars per half hour or 25 minutes for 2 half hours. When he gets bigger, they do an hour for 15 dollars, but as a puppy, he needs one-on-one time and that's costly. I wouldnt' mind just paying for the 12:30 until 1:00 visit, for the walk and lunch, but he can't go from 1 until 4:30 on a full tummy without a stop in between. 15 dollars a day is ok. That's 75 a week split in two (two of us). That's really no different than just saying, ok I have to not spend 33 dollars this week, I won't go out to that restaurant, or I won't buy that magazine, or watch that movie. That I can handle. But $125 a week is pretty steep. 50 dollars more a week means 200 more a month, and I don't think we can afford it.

So I'm praying Chris' gramma will do it. Maybe I could get the babysitter to come in and feed and walk him, and I can get his gramma just to get him onto the balcony to pee at 2:30. I hate using the balcony but it would sure be easy for her to just open the door and let him do his business. She can even leave it there, I'd clean it up when I got home.

The most he'd ever have to hold it is that long stretch from 10 until 12:30. I hope he will eventually be able to do it. At 2 months he should ideally be able to hold it for an absolute maximum of 3 hours. I'm going to try it on him today. I've been working in the bedroom so he gets used to being alone. He hasn't cried or fussed once. He plays with his blankie and sleeps. He has the chirrups of the birds for company, and he seems to like to snooze. As he gets bigger and can "hold it" I will leave his crate open so he can move about in his x-pen and play with his toys. I will keep checking on him today to see how long he can "hold it". I hope he gets used to this routine. I don't think I'm being cruel since he gets so much play time with us in the evenings and he had love from me and my hubby when he woke up.

Any thoughts?

  • My babies

    I haven't posted in forever... I'm sorry for that. I think I'll be around more often, and I hope all of you will be too. My babies:…

  • rest in peace

    In case anyone still checks this community, I thought I'd post this. My Lainie died yesterday. She had turned 11 years old not long ago. I took her…

  • Hi all!

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.