1) Gambit was never left alone as a puppy because his gramma took care of him, so I have no experience leaving an 8 week old puppy alone during the work day. I will be home all of July and August but for June the baby will be alone for about 7 hours each day. That is too long for an 8 week puppy to be by itself, so I am planning on having someone come in each day and take care of her. Will this be enough if I have someone come in for an hour halfway through the day? Also, if the puppy is in her crate, and Gambit is not, will that cause tension? He is totally housebroken and sleeps in our bedroom. Should I keep them separated for now? Should I put her crate in the room? They won’t be able to get to each other and I don’t think she’ll be able to hold it if she’s not crated, but Gambit is used to free reign of the room when we are out and sleeps in the bed…
2) If I do have someone take care of the puppy during June, and I am home July and August, by the time the puppy is about 5 months old in September and I go back to work, will she be able to be in her crate for 7 hours? Is that still too long? I’m trying to financially predict the added cost of a puppy sitter if she can’t be alone that long yet. Because Gambit always had someone, he just magically trained himself. He went out every 2 hours, then every 3 then every four and now he can hold it all day no problem. So I don’t know what to expect.
3) I am planning to paint my house this summer. If I get another puppy, is this just a futile endeavour? Will the paint be harmful?
4) Gambit was the only puppy in his litter and the only male amongst the pups he was raised with. He has been our only pet for two years. He has never been openly aggressive with any other dogs we meet but he only plays with my SIL’s boxer, who submits to him without question. They play rough but not mean. Anyway, although not violent, I think Gambit is very dominant, very alpha-male. He likes things to go his way, and sometimes will even bark at me or my husband when he doesn’t get his wishes (we are working to curb that but he is VERY bossy). Would bringing another male puppy into the house just cause tension? I was thinking a female puppy might be better. He gets along well with the boxer, who is a female. I don’t know if we’ll have a choice, though; the breeder may only have a male available or we might not have first pick.
5) Considering he has been our only baby for two years, is there a chance he will be jealous/hate a new puppy? We want to do this for his companionship, so if there is a chance he won’t like it, we won’t adopt. We want the new puppy to have a safe and welcoming home environment.
Thank you for answering my spazzy questions!!