?

Log in

No account? Create an account
 
 
14 May 2009 @ 09:56 pm
nervous rash?  
My husband and I boarded our dogs for three days at a new vet. We picked them up today and I noticed Leo has a red rash on his muzzle. Its very raw and red and he keeps licking it. I've been trying to put hydrocortisone lotion on it but he'll lick it off. Does anyone have any suggestions to help either the rash go away or to stop nervous licking?

here is my poor baby btw
 
 
 
Angelaangelacm on May 15th, 2009 05:19 am (UTC)
Harley gets this sometimes when her allergies flare up, alot of the time post housecleaning. My guess would be Leo may have been sensitive to something they used in the cages to clean with perhaps. I would let it be for a few days and see if it clears up. Always the possibility too that this time of year is kicking up allergies. Harley takes allergy pills all spring.
Meghanenchantedbedlam on May 15th, 2009 05:28 am (UTC)
poor baby!

he looks so sad.

it looks like he maybe has some allergies. have you noticed him getting like this around this time of the year? it's also possible that he was fed a different type of food at the clinic and he may have a slight food allergy (or he could be allergic to the cleaner they use there, too). if it's not allergies, it might be from him rubbing his face on the cage. allergies can also be evident on the bottoms of their feet (their toes and legs) and their bellies. does he have a rash there, too?

if he doesn't have any history of seizures, you could give him a 25 mg benadryl (that's a normal dose) and see if it helps him. you can give him one of those twice daily until he starts looking better. the benadryl should help with the swelling and the itchiness of it.

i would call the vet in the morning and let them know what's up. i imagine they'll just have you keep up with the benadryl, but they may want you to bring him in if it gets worse.

good luck!
.nfgurlee on May 15th, 2009 05:37 pm (UTC)
ohhh his little face i feel so bad for him. one of my dogs gets a rash like this on his nose from time to time. i swear its from over-licking, he does it whenever there's a big change like moving to a new apartment or going for a really long car ride. its always very raw and pink just like your little guy's. we give him benadryl for a day or two so he stops the licking and it usually clears up within a week. allergies sounds like the most probable cause, i wish you the best!!
just another daynympha on May 15th, 2009 08:31 pm (UTC)
he is beautiful! i hope he feels better soon.
kisstherain4mekisstherain4me on May 16th, 2009 01:09 am (UTC)
All my bostons have got this at some point, it's allergies. I wouldn't recommend putting hydrocortisone on it, as it's not good to be ingested. He needs something soothing, remember, allergies are just inflammation really, so anything cool, oatmeal is excellent, just cook some up and make it kind of soupy and let it cool. It won't matter it he licks it off. Also, look up a poultice, here's an easy one

Herbal Tea Rinse

* Add 5 green, chamomile or Tulsi tea bags to 2 quarts very hot water, steep until water is cool (I recommend 3 hours to allow for the maximum amount of polyphenols to exit the teabag and enter the water).
* Remove tea bags and pour over pet from the neck down.
* Massage into skin and do not rinse.
* You can also refrigerate used tea bags for a soothing topical poultice for hotspots or rashes.