独りきりの猫 (neko_no_kioku) wrote in boston_buddies,
独りきりの猫
neko_no_kioku
boston_buddies

  • Mood:

Cataracts

X-posted

My Boston, Brenna, has been recently diagnosed with cataracts. She's going to be 10 next month but has always been in great health and is still very active. I've decided that I want her to have surgery, but I'm having trouble deciding whether she should get both eyes done at once or just one eye. One eye is significantly worse than the other, so she still has pretty decent vision in one eye (somewhere between 50-75%, depending on which vet you ask), while it's mostly lost in the other. I've already been to two ophthalmologists, and they feel she is a candidate for either surgery, though one vet did say he preferred a more conservative approach and leave the eye alone while it still had some vision left. Sadly, they couldn't give me some idea of how long before she lost vision in the other eye. :/

What would you do in this situation? Would you try to preserve vision in both eyes at the same time? Fix one and do a wait and see approach with the other? Or only get one fixed without any plans to fix the other?

I have no experience at all with cataracts, or with blindness in dogs, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Subscribe

  • My babies

    I haven't posted in forever... I'm sorry for that. I think I'll be around more often, and I hope all of you will be too. My babies:…

  • rest in peace

    In case anyone still checks this community, I thought I'd post this. My Lainie died yesterday. She had turned 11 years old not long ago. I took her…

  • Hi all!

  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 9 comments